Friday, September 3, 2010

What's Placebo?

    So what exactly is Placebo? Placebo is a sugar pill that’s it, your probably wondering what this has to do with anything. Yea me too. After doing the study research with the placebo website I discovered the reason for the sugar pill. Well they select a number of patients with some type of disease and give them medicine to cure it. About half and half of the patients get the actual drug while the other half gets a sugar pill. The reason for the sugar pill is so they can receive the data they need. The patients don't know if they are getting the real drug or the sugar pill. The doctors that give them the pill also don't know if they are giving their patient the placebo pill or actual pill. Therefore the patients can't decide what the outcome of the data the people will receive on the drug. They reason why they don't know nor do the doctors is because they can't decide the outcome. They would find out if the pill did actually work on the patient if they actually did receive the real pill not placebo pill. I think this is a good idea because then they know if the results on drug are real.

           When placebo was first introduced to me in Ludwig's class I didn't have any idea what it was going to be about. At first I thought maybe just about a chemical in the body I wasn't very close... was I? I learned a lot about placebo just by doing that project on the internet. It’s interesting how much different each experiment is on each kind of disorders. Learning that placebo was only a pill that was made of sugar was interesting. I thought how this could really have to be important with anything that deals with Science. Then I discovered it was very important to science and that it did help a lot, just a simple sugar pill. It's a smart idea to not let the patient or doctor know what pill it is; the real dug or sugar pill.

No comments:

Post a Comment